Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Resources for dads

"...a unique father-to-father, community-based workshop that inspires and equips men of different economic levels, ages and cultures to become confidently engaged with their infants, support their mates and personally navigate their transformation into dads."


I put a "..." instead of the name of the thing, because the name just grates on my nerves. Seriously? But here it is, the above blurb is describing: Boot Camp for New Dads. And if you can get past the militaristic drumbeat in the background, the video on the main page is sweet in a confused-new-dads-sharing-their-feelings sort of way.

I was surprised that they even have BCND in my town. As much great mama-centered stuff as I've heard about, the most I've encountered for new dads is that some childbirth educators will set aside a portion of time for new-dad related conversation. But mostly its a flying blind thing, and it seems really valuable that new fathers have some extra support. Obviously same-sex partners and "unconventional" participants in burgeoning parenthood would have that same need. I've most appreciated the modeling of some midwives of bringing the partner (if there is one) on board during prenatal care and addressing their needs (articulated, or equally importantly, not articulated) with care and the benefit of much experience. Not all midwives tune into that.

It has also been intriguing to realize that postpartum depression is increasingly being recognized among men (not to mention the impact on them of PPD in their partners). For a little more on that check out Postpartum Dads Project. I think we'll all be wise to remember to check in with partners when serving moms and babies.

And for both of these great resources, a hat tip to MedEd PPD who have a wonderful series of free Postpartum Depression modules that I plan on going through this summer. Anyone want to join me and make it a study buddy party?

I'm in sprinting distance of having completed my first year back in college since I had kids, and look forward to cashing in on some of those promises I've made about posts to this blog once my end-of-term schoolwork wraps up.

No comments:

Post a Comment