Friday, July 30, 2010

Dorky new additions to the free resource list

Posted by Tatiana

I've added the following free learning opportunities to the Free Resources for Midwifery Study post:

Pelvic Floor Muscle Trauma from Medscape.  You need to join the site (free) to access this one, and there's a free CEU for completing it.

Examination of the Newborn from the University of Oslo in Norway.

The Little Handbook of Statistical Practice from Gerard E. Dallal of Tufts University in Boston.  It is my opinion that with the amount of "studies show..." spouting that midwives do, we better well be equipped to coherently interpret studies.

The first two were posted to discussion groups by other folks, the last one I unearthed myself because I kept bumping up against "I really don't know enough about statistics to interpret studies."  I wish I didn't need to be reading for the doula training I'm doing next week so I could just read through that statistics handbook.  It's absolutely delicious because it answers so many questions I've had about statistics, plus it's math and that's just a good time on a Friday night as far as I'm concerned.  I really think that I need the ability to critically analyze research as a midwife, and doing that when I'm not even sure what p= actually means is problematic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment